Having a successful marriage means more than FINDING the right person. It means BEING the right person. Sometimes, the FINDING part is easier. You can go to places where singles congregate. You can join clubs, pursue hobbies, or become active in religious or civic organizations. With any luck, you’ll meet the one you consider Mr. or Ms. Right.
BEING the right person can be tougher. Are you easy to live with, generous, flexible, and willing to put your beloved’s needs before your own? Above all, are both of you mature?
Maturity means knowing who you are:
- Your talents
- Your weaknesses
- Your interests
- The things you hate to do
- The values that you will not compromise
- The preferences that you are willing to bend on
- What you want out of life and marriage
Out of this self- knowledge comes the possibility of giving oneself freely to your beloved.
For Further Reading:
- Whom Not to Marry: Time Tested Advice From a Higher Authority by Father Pat Connor